There are so many things to consider when booking your trip to Orlando, especially when it comes to the accommodation.
This was our second time going to Orlando and we knew from our first trip that we wanted a different style of accommodation, and the Homewood Suites gave us what we were looking for.
So, without further ado here are the pro’s and a few cons of our accommodation.
– the rooms are apartment style, with a full kitchenette area, which included a full fridge with ice maker, dishwasher, toaster, hob, microwave oven and all the utensils and ware you would need, we loved this because it allowed us to make lunches and have cool drinks to take with us to the parks. And before I forget of course there was a coffee maker which was life in the early mornings.
– with a bit of moving of the furniture in the living area, the sofa which converted into a double bed for the kids, we had plenty of room to move around, even without making the bed back into a sofa every day. The king size was enormous in the main room and we could have all easily fit into it, which of course Noah had to test out the odd night.
– there were two huge TVs in the apartment, one in the bedroom and one in the living area, plenty of channels, and no arguments if we wanted to watch different things.
– the sink was separate to the toilet/shower room, and although you had to walk through the main bedroom to get to the bathroom this didn’t affect us in any way, but it is something to note.
– the air conditioning was a dream, with the Florida heat it is essential but at night we tended to turn of the air conditioning in favor of the ceiling fan which was in the main bedroom. At no stage did we ever find the room too hot.
What was great about the hotel was that breakfast was included and although with a kitchenette in the room where we could have easily made it ourselves it was a nice extra included in the price. The breakfasts were buffet style with different hot food choices each morning (there was a variation on eggs every morning), there was endless supply of coffee, cold juices, different breads,pastries and everyone’s favorite fresh,hot waffles.
Now it should be noted that at peak breakfast time the queue to make the waffles could be frustrating, but with three machines you just have to have patience and wait.
My one biggest gripe about the breakfasts was the hotels use of plastic cutlery, plates and disposable cups. We are all so aware of the environment, and at times all of us in our party found it hard to stomach the sheer amount of plastic waste that was being generated.
I brought this up with the management and unfortunately I think he mistook my issue to be one that we didn’t like eating on plastic plates etc.
Now I fully understood why they were using plastic,the sheer amount of people eating breakfast probably meant they wouldn’t be able to keep up with dish washing, but in this day and age it’s really not good enough and I would honestly say this was our biggest problem with the hotel.
– another great complimentary addition to our stay was the hotels social evenings from Monday to Thursday. On the weekdays we were able to get complimentary beer or wine and there was also food (hot and cold), as the hotel doesn’t have a bar this was a lovely touch during the week.
– now the pool area was lovely albeit small and unfortunately here was our only other con, there is very, and I mean very limited seating around the pool which isn’t ideal if you want to do a spot of sunbathing.
Now look this is just something to note, at the end of the day you are in Orlando, so it’s very likely you won’t even want to spend too much time at the pool.
At the end of the day, the accommodation was everything we were looking for, the location is central, the rooms are spacious and the hotel is spotless. The staff always went out of their way to help and I’m sure if we had an issue it would have been resolved immediately.
If we ever get back to the USA, I do think it’s a chain of hotels that I would look out for again and it gets the Wheely Big Journey thumbs up.
Here’s a direct link to the hotels website Homewood Suites Orlando
Featured image courtesy of Homewood Suites Orlando